Tuesday, June 1, 2010

So fit I'm sick

It seems we cyclists walk a fine line between being as fit as possible to getting sick. I think I'm one of the lucky ones to be honest....knock on wood!!!!

I was looking forward to this weekend and the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic but as the weekend got closer, my head starting filling up and my throat hurt worse and worse each day, ugh....

I'm a social butterfly and this weekend was full of events I wanted to attend plus all the cool racing! Dang it!:( So no road race for me but I managed to pull my lungs together long enough to do the crit with my teammate Alison and implement our strategy: win, win $$, keep overall GC for Alison.

The crit was 45min and the only 2 people Alison was most concerned with were Alisha Welsh and Marissa Asplund. So our plan was to attack and counter attack, knowing one of those would be chasing at all times, so off we went. I started the race, thinking, keep a high pace, keeps us out of trouble and things strung out. Sure enough, 2 laps in that was happening, so now time to attack. After a lap or so, I look back and see who is chasing:) Plan is working. They catch me and there goes AT!!! Yayyer! And that was it, the attack that stuck! Marissa couldn't get her team or anyone to organize a chase, plus, I won the field prime and AT took all the other primes. "I love it when a plan comes together":)

The last lap was strung out and my lungs had thrown in the towel by then, so I just hung on and finished with the group. And I must say, the crowd was AWESOME!!! They had a beer garden on turn 2 and the longer the break went on, then more rowdy the crowd got, it was a great feeling:)

Post race, Alison and I spun around a bit, then headed home to get cleaned up and maybe some grub. Alas, my lungs and head had different plans. By the time I showered and slowed down, I needed to get food and get home or else my head was gonna explode! Needless to say, I was in bed by 9 and slept till 10 the next day.

After lots of couch surfing, I think I'm on top of the head cold now, so I'll take an easy spin today and get the lungs open and take in the fresh air!

So like I said, we cyclists are super fit and on the border of getting sick all the time, hence the importance of proper recovery, eating right, sleeping right and trying to stay healthy as possible flying/traveling as much as we do.

Next up for me....flying to Tulsa, OK on Thursday with my teammate Alison, I'm looking forward to racing and seeing my other teammates as well:)

I think Miller is waiting for me to take him to the river......

3 comments:

  1. Awww, so sorry you are feeling bad! Surely there's some good herbs out there that would help... but it sounds like you are having a great time in spite of the cold!

    Be Safe and I'm sure you'll be OK in OK! Ride Hard!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon! I turn in to a zombie when I train a lot. It's not too bad, except when I get lost on routes that I do several times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wash your hands a lot and NEVER touch your eyes or nose. That should help a lot.

    ReplyDelete